UV technology can be more effective than chemicals in destroying certain waterborne contaminants without altering the taste of the water. This makes it a practical process for treating water that is used for drinking and food preparation.
UV light disinfects by penetrating microorganisms and disrupting their DNA, preventing them from multiplying. The only function of a microorganism is to breed and produce colonies, this is why when we ingest microorganisms they make us sick. These organisms get into our intestinal system, begin to breed and produce colonies which cause our bodies to react trying to get rid of this invasion. This is the reason why bacteriological contamination is almost always associated with occurrences of diarrhea. A microorganism which cannot breed is of no concern.
UV light penetrates and permenently alters the DNA of the microorganisms in a process called thymine dimerization. The microorgansims are “inactivated.”
UV Light Advantages
- Fast acting
- UV light does not result in the creation of harmful disinfection by-products
- Safe and chemical-free
- UV does not introduce any of the hazards associated with chemicals, such as handling and disposal.
- Low Cost (Capital cost is low and operating cost is low compared to alternative disinfection methods)
- No contact tanks required
- More effective than chlorine on a wide range of disease-causing microbes (including Legionella)
- Simple to install and operate
- No moving parts to wear out
- Installation flexibility
In over 100 countries, VIQUA’s UV systems are disinfecting water in homes and light commercial applications including: apartment complexes, manufacturing facilities, campgrounds, resorts, hotels and hospitals. Every minute, VIQUA systems treat over 18.9 million litres of water.